Monday, October 13, 2014

Emily's Always Make Great Nuns!

Happy Monday!

So this week has been an awesome week, and it started off with zone training, and going to the temple. As many of you may already know now, my parents are moving back to my original hometown (after living four years in my new hometown) due to employment. I went to General Conference with a prayer in my heart trying to figure out whether I should go home in April or May, and whether I should go to BYU or BYU Idaho once I get home. I always recalled the promise given to us that if we have any question, it will be answered in General Conference. Unfortunately, I never got that answer, the answer that I've been waiting for, for a long time. I've been trying my hardest not to be impatient, and not to plan way ahead like my usual self, and to put my desire in the Lord's Hands. It made more sense when I found out last Monday that we were moving back to my original hometown, and my future plans went haywire and became very confused. In the Celestial Room I prayed very fervently on whether I should go home in May, or in April. I was going more towards May as I was second guessing myself, since I didn't have a reason- more on that later. Zone training was great and our zone was pumped because it's been the standard to teach 20 lessons to investigators with members present. The entire mission was striving to get more and more than ever before, and we were able to beat our previous goals so that was amazing. :)

We were able to teach Dw. again, who Sister Warner and I taught once, and then we taught him again a few weeks ago. He said that he would be baptized if he knew it was true, and he's very spiritual.  Dw. notices the positive energy that comes into his home when we're there every time, and has such a powerful testimony about prayer. We were testifying to him about baptism, when all of a sudden we hear a knock on the door. Dwi. answers, and there were Jehovah Witnesses following up to see if he ever read the pamphlets that they gave him.  He said no, and he asked them if they wanted to join us studying the good word and praying. Sister Sullivan gets up and walks toward the door saying "hello," and they told him that they had people waiting for them, and that they'd come back later, trying to get off of the front porch as soon as possible. Sister Freeman and I didn't see their facial expressions, but apparently it was priceless when Sister Sullivan came to the door and they looked at her name tag. I've never had that experience before, but I'm very curious if they're going to come back. :P

This ward never ceases to amaze me, since more and more members are coming with us as they give us their friends as referrals. We have at least five or six investigators that we're working with in the beginning stages that are from members. One member knew that her friend was going to pick up someone from piano practice, and told us "to happen to be there."  She was fascinated with the History of Christianity, but couldn't come. We're going to be able to teach her on Wednesday, and another one of the member's friends on Saturday.


Sister Lester is one of those amazing members!  She spoils us with very delicious, very filling "P-day" lunches! 

An. is doing well, and we were able to finish the Restoration with her this week. She wasn't able to come to church because she wasn't feeling well, and we're kinda bummed about that. We're just hoping she recovers quickly from her surgery.

It was funny, but as we were at someone's house for dinner, one of the little boys whispered to his Mom that I looked British. Then the other little girl said that I looked pretty. Kids say the darnest things! :)

We have a return appointment with D., one of the recent convert's sons. We asked his Mom Lo. if we could come over and see him, and she mentioned that he's studying and won't be able to talk for too long. We went on a three way split to see D., Wo., and Bo. and Bi. (Our first three way split ever.) Da. was waiting for us and opened the door before we could even ring it, and was so excited for us to see him. He's in a band and wants to give us their CD after they're finished recording, and I'm totally going to keep it until I'm home so I can listen to it! He's an awesome guy, and he wants to get a priesthood blessing for his 18th birthday next week. Amazing family.  :)

We were able to teach Wo. this week, (Brother and Sister R.'s adult daughter)  and she's going to be able to get Sunday off so she can come to church this upcoming week. We were on a three way split She's been reading the Book of Mormon, and Tr. is still being a missionary to her Mom. We wrote down all of the R. family's testimonies to give to our mission, and Brother R. asked for our full names so he can write them down and remember. Sister R. replied. "I'm surprised Emily is Mormon, Emily's always make great nuns!" It was so funny and we all laughed. :)


 
This picture is of Le., one of the Brother and Sister R's grandkids. I want to
name a girl after her since she's so cute and adorable

Bo. and Bi. (the two brothers) hasn't been progressing too much, although Bi. did watch conference. We're going to just have the members invite them over for dinner and see what happens, but we feel that Bi. hates authority, rules, and the thought of prophets today. We're not entirely sure if he's going to make any progress.

We're still teaching Ja. (the young teenager), and we're not entirely sure if the text we got from her Mom Jac. was per her request, or the Mom's. Since we were teaching Jac. about Family History and baptisms for the dead, and Ja. was participating the most in the entire lesson we'll see what happens with her!

Last night I was asking Sister Sullivan and Sister Freeman questions about BYU summer semester, and how long it was etc. The Faulk Family Reunion is the exact same week it starts, and I was contemplating if I could afford to miss an entire week by talking to my professors about it, and then doing as much homework as I could during the reunion. It still didn't feel right to me, and I was trying to figure out what Heavenly Father knew what was best for me. I've been praying and praying but there was still no answer. Finally one of my companions told me that I could always apply for spring, since that starts the end of April. An overwhelmingly strong feeling of peace came over me, and I knew that's what was in store for me. Everyone got quiet, and later on that evening both of them admitted that they both felt the peace that I did. I hope to be able to get into BYU, go to the family reunion, and still work in the summertime being an EFY counselor or some other job. I've learned a lot about revelation, patience, and really listening to the spirit this week. I'm so grateful for the things that I learn on the mission, and I'm so excited for the last six months of the mission!

Shout out to Heather and Jennifer for having birthdays last week! :)

-Sister Sudweeks

P.S.  A picture taken with Sister Watt's--another sister from my home ward! 

A note from Emily's Mom:  Emily told me that because her 18 month mark is between transfers, that her mission president allows the missionaries to go home right before their 18 month mark, or after their 18 month mark.  That's why she was trying to decide whether to come home in April or May. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment