Monday, March 17, 2014

Cars Break Down at the Worst Times.....



Happy Monday!

So I'm going to be honest, C. (our bus contact) completely took over our week, but then again he's progressing and is getting baptized 24 days after we met him, and he DID have a lot to learn! Our week pretty much fell through when it came to a lot of our lessons.  One of the reasons why our week wasn't the best is because we are in dire need of investigators. Two weeks ago we were hardly on MARTA due to all of the meetings we had, and no one was really interested last week so if you ever need someone to pray for, pray that we'll be able to find investigators who are ready because we literally only have C. on date to be baptized right now.

C. took us out for ice cream on Monday and we had to read all of those Wikipedia articles about Mormonism. I'm pretty impressed, a lot of it was actually correct except maybe two little details. So thumbs up for Wikipedia! Later on that night he texted us saying how much he appreciated all that we've done for him, and that we're superheroes in his book. Best compliment I've received from an investigator/recent convert besides being called an angel? I think so! He's also in the book of Alma the last time that we asked him about it, he's reading it like crazy. Mosiah is one of his favorite books, and he thinks that Nephi is absolutely the bomb! We gave him a few mormon.org cards to pass out to his co-workers and guests at where he works at. We actually had to give him more a few days ago. He passes them out to everyone, and a Jehovah's Witness actually accepted one yesterday. He'd be a great missionary!"

We saw Sister B. only once this week, and we taught her how to recognize answers from prayers through the spirit. We asked if there was any question that she wanted to know the answer to, since she claims that she's never gotten an answer to a prayer. (Which is a COMPLETE lie considering there has been SO many miracles that has happened in the past 4+ months.) We asked her if she wanted to know if what we were teaching her was true, and she said yes. I asked her if she would lie to pray right now with us, and then just wait for an answer and we could help her discern her thoughts and feelings. She did not like that, so she literally walked out of the room saying that she's not into this right now, and needed to check up on her 50 year old son J. Brother B. told us that she has been thinking about baptism a lot more now, but it's literally her family holding her back. They call her 3-4 times a day asking if the missionaries are over, and basically smack talking about converting to another religion. It makes me so sad, and so baptism is such a touchy subject for her now. I don't know what to do besides pray. Neither Brother or Sister B came to church yesterday because they always talk about how sick or sore they are.

K. told us that he was going to come to church no matter what, and we were so excited since we've been teaching him since July, and he's never been to church considering he takes care of all of his family. He said that he told his sister that even if she's not there by the time he needs to leave for church, he's leaving anyway. Sunday rolls around, and he doesn't make it. We called him after church and he told us that he was driving to church and his car breaks down in the pouring rain! He left his phone at home, and so he had to walk home. K. is so close, I just want to transport him to church or something. 

The other sister missionaries moved out this last Thursday, and it's really weird because there aren’t many crazy stories anymore. It's so quiet in our apartment, and it's so CLEAN. I've missed the cleanliness of our apartment, but I do sometimes miss the noise.

C. had his baptismal interview last week, and it was literally the longest baptismal interview I've even experienced- 2 1/2 hours. Thankfully he passed, and he wants Brother I. to baptize him, and Brother I. fees so honored since he never went on a mission.  I think he's excited. Sister J. and I both practiced the piano during the interview and she did language study; since you KNOW language study got real ever since she found out she got her visa! She's hoping that she goes to the MTC for 2 weeks of intense language study but no word yet. I'm hoping that I'll improve my piano skills within the next 14 months. Since Sis J is leaving I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to play the piano for District Meeting and whatnot. That night C. told us, "I would have never guessed that God was Mormon." He says the most interesting things at times. He was also so sure that Mormons have a vault in the mountain in Utah, where we're all going to go if there's a zombie apocalypse, or the 2nd Coming. But this week C. was the only investigator that came to church, N. and D. keep cancelling their appointments on us, so they're not really progressing much either.

One of the things I really thought about as I was partaking of the sacrament this week was one phrase of the sacrament prayer. "They are willing to take upon them the name of thy Son." What does that phrase mean to you? In a way, I think about how I have a name tag that says my name, and then Jesus Christ's name underneath it. I am a literal representative of Jesus Christ, but in a way we all are as we are willing to become more like Jesus Christ. That covenant we make as we take the sacrament isn't something we should forget about after church is over, but it should carry on over day after day because we should be striving to be more Christ-like each and every day, and repent of our sins daily. Which ties to another thought that I had this week is that since we are disciples of Jesus Christ, we have to forgive one another. I have hard times when I don't want to forgive people, but then I remind myself that it isn't my job to judge someone. No matter what one person does to hurt me, I need to let it go and move forward.

I hope everyone is wearing green today, don't get pinched! [=

-Sister Sudweeks

P.S. Here's a random picture of Sis J and I with a 2014 Corvette. I wish I could joke and say this was our new mission car, but I don't think anyone would believe us! Also, we both got matching Georgia shirts. Too bad all of these are before I got my haircut this week!

Our dream Mission car--or maybe this is what K. needs to get to church!


I'm seriously going to miss Sister J! 

No comments:

Post a Comment