Monday, June 9, 2014

Just Dust Off Your Feet! Dust 'Em Off!

Happy Monday!
It's crazy to think that I hit my seven month mark last week. I can remember being at the airport flying to Georgia just like it was last month. [=

So we met G. on Monday and found out that F. doesn't even live in our stake, but we're also teaching her granddaughter S. We really don't know what the elders taught them because they didn't give us their teaching record, and were a bit vague. G. and their family are related to the L. Family in the Whitewater Ward (they meet in our building too) who just recently got baptized earlier this year. We're a bit wary on what their true intentions are for wanting to join the church, so we're being careful. G. wasn't on date to be baptized, but she and S. said that they would if they found out that the Book of Mormon was true and they felt prepared.

We met and got back in touch with some amazing people this week. God has blessed us with some amazing investigators, who show some potential! It's such a drastic change from getting two investigators to eleven investigators. Some of those investigators weren't there for their return appointment, but we know they have some potential!

Sister Warner and I had about twenty minutes before our dinner appointment. We prayed and asked where we should go next, and He guided us to where a former investigator once lived. As we stopped near her house, we decided that we would knock on one door. I prayed that we'd be guided to someone who would be receptive and would want us to come back. We ended up knocking on the door we parked by, and met J. G.!  She is the cutest lady I've ever met! We talked about prayer, faith, and how she wants to minister the word to everyone she meets and is so grateful for what we're doing. She kept going on about how we need to dust our feet off every time someone rejects us at the door in the most enthusiastic way possible. I kept grinning because she was just glorifying God and how good He is to all of us. She prayed for us, and I've never heard such a Southern prayer in my life! We came back and taught her part of the first lesson, but only got up to prophets and how there has been the gospel in many dispensations. We're both so excited to teach her again!

Sister Warner and I brought the blanket fort back! We roasted marshmallows when there was a huge thunderstorm two or three nights this week, and we wanted to sleep in a tent too! I don't think I'll ever want to take it down, it brings so many fun memories to the mission!

We also got a hold of someone that we tracted into that also lived by a former investigator, Memorial Day Weekend. G. hasn't gone to church in a while, and her husband mentioned to her recently that they needed to start going to church again. We are building a trust with her so we got to know her during the first lesson, but we have another appointment with her this upcoming week. She said that she couldn't come to church yesterday, but she's going to come this week hopefully!

I'm sorry to report that George, the snake is dead dead. May he rest in pieces. As we were walking for lunch I saw that a bird was pecking at him, and he was a goner! I wanted to bury him, but I figured that would be just too weird.

Sister Warner and I also got a hold of S., and we have another appointment with her this week. I'm telling you about all of these appointments because I'm confident and I'm exercising my faith that all of these will go through, so I can talk to all of you about them next week!

One of the new investigators we had a discussion with was an evangelist for the Church of Christ. I hate to admit that he made me teary eyed because of some of the rude comments he directed right at me as I was trying to bear my testimony of the Book of Mormon. We have come in contact with a lot people who either say that Jesus is God, or that Jesus isn't the son of God, and so on. It really made Sister Warner and I so grateful that we have a testimony of the Book of Mormon, and since we know that it's true, everything else after it is true as well. After I prayed in gratitude for our testimonies, Sister Warner declared, "Our shake is unfaithen in the Book of Mormon!" I laughed really hard, since she said it so proudly. How I love my companion!

It was such a miracle because we got in contact with one of the inactives in the ward earlier this week as well. Her husband for 52 years passed away within this year and she's been having a hard time adjusting. V. is one of the coolest people I've met, and I really hope that she considers coming back to church. She and her husband aren't sealed for time and all eternity, so I pray that she'll come back and make that one of her goals.

So it's been REALLY humid this past week, and I think the heat and humidity are taking a toll on me. Sister Warner and I act REALLY weird after we get in from tracting for a long time. We were both wearing maxi dresses, and we REALLY enjoyed pumping up our air conditioning as Sister Warner drove. She even mentioned to me that "I think that we'd be really good squirrels together." She's hilarious!

I've really loved studying for two hours every day. I've been able to incorporate the Ensign magazine, the Gospel Principles book, Preach my Gospel, the Book of Mormon for kids that has the stories in simple form with pictures, the Bible Dictionary, True to the Faith, and many other resources. I encourage all of your to broaden your resources as you study the scriptures every day. You'll be able to get a lot more insight, and a lot more knowledge. I thought I knew everything that was in the Gospel Principles book, but boy was I wrong! It's always great to look up the scripture references that go along with everything as well.

Brother G. wasn't at church yesterday, but C. L. was, and I was so happy to see him there!

I don't have much time left, but we have this poem magnet on our fridge:

"I asked for God for strength, that I might achieve.
I was made weak, that I might learn humbly and obey.

I asked for health, that I might do greater things.
I was given infirmity, that I might do better things

I asked for riches, that I might be happy.
I was given poverty, that I might be wise.

I asked for power, that I might have the praise of men.
I was given weakness that I might feel the need of God.

I asked for all the things that I might enjoy in life.
I was given life that I might enjoy all things.

I got nothing that I asked for
But everything I had hope for.

Almost despite myself,
My unspoken prayers were answered.


I am among all men, most richly blessed."
-Unknown Confederate Soldier

It's so great to think that God gives us what we need although we may not entirely ask for it. We should always be looking at our trials as a blessing, considering we received them to be able to learn important lessons from them.

Have a great week! :)
-Sister Sudweeks


P.S.  "P.S. We got a Duck Dynasty puzzle from Sister Warner's family. Hopefully we'll be able to finish it although it's all camouflage!"



No comments:

Post a Comment